Protect yourself when you’re buying things online
Know your rights when you’re shopping online — and what to do if anything goes wrong.
Buying things online — tips
- Compare the deal with other options before you buy, including those offered by real stores.
- Check where the business is located.
- Read the terms and conditions, including what happens if there's a problem.
- Keep a record of the purchase details.
- Remember that buying by credit card or a secure payment system will give you more protection than a cash transfer.
If no time period for delivery was agreed when you buy goods that the retailer has arranged to be delivered, the retailer must make sure that delivery happens within a reasonable time.
If your goods don’t arrive on time, or are damaged during delivery, you can make a claim to the retailer who sold you the goods.